Best search engine
Last updated: September 15, 2021
Here's the best search engine: DuckDuckGo.
Why: DuckDuckGo is a search engine that doesn't track you. As the company puts it, "We don't track you in or out of private browsing mode. Other search engines track your searches even when you're in private browsing mode. We don't track you - period."
Business model: Advertising, though without the surveillance and tracking that Google and others rely on.
Whatever you do, don't use Google for search.
• Web: duckduckgo.com
• iOS app: DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for iPhone/iPad - this app also functions as a Web browser
• Android app: DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Android devices (though we suggest avoiding Android if possible)
• Mojeek, a UK-based search engine that doesn't track users. Search results come from Mojeek's own index, rather than tapping into another search engine - as detailed in Mojeek's search engine map infographic.
• Brave Search, created by the team behind the Brave web browser (listed here on GR). From the launch announcement: “Brave Search is built on top of a completely independent index, and doesn’t track users, their searches, or their clicks.”
• Searx, "a free internet metasearch engine which aggregates results from more than 70 search services. Users are neither tracked nor profiled." To search, first click into a specific instance on this list, such as US-based searx.bar.
• We are aware of Neeva, the new "ad-free, private" search engine. Neeva was founded by career Google execs who built the Google search-advertising platform that they now claim to be opposing. Neeva does not inspire confidence, so we recommend the options listed above.
• We no longer recommend Qwant, a Paris-based search engine that claims not to track users. As of June 2021 it was reported that Qwant, nearing bankruptcy, asked Huawei for a bailout in the millions of euros.
Related: Best visual search engines
Show your support of Good Reports.
We have no paywall for our recommendations, because we're passionate about sharing them. But it's expensive to create and maintain the site.
Please pitch in so that we can keep Good Reports going.