Best ad blocker
Last updated: November 2, 2020
Here's our favorite ad blocker: Better.
Why: The most popular ad blockers often are funded by Google and other Big Tech companies. In contrast, our favorite ad blocker, Better, is made by the not-for-profit Small Technology Foundation in Ireland.
Business model: Donations to the foundation and sales of Better.
• Web: better.fyi
• iOS app (works with the Safari browser): Better, $1.99
• Mac app (works with the Safari browser): Better, $1.99
• There is no Android app for Better, we assume because the Android platform is too compromised by Google surveillance.
• uBlock Origin, an open-source ad blocker compatible with Chrome, Firefox, and other web browsers. (We don't recommend using Chrome or Firefox - see our web browser recommendations - but if you have to use Chrome, uBlock Origin appears to be a good choice for ad blocker.)
Aral Balkan and Laura Kalbag are the co-creators of Better (and the co-founders of the Small Technology Foundation). We recommend these resources:
• Excerpt of Aral Balkan speaking in Brussels in November 2019 (from Techtonic, November 25, 2019)
Best messaging apps (new: Jan 19, 2021)
Show your support of Good Reports.
We have no paywall for our recommendations, because we're passionate about sharing them. But it's expensive to create and maintain the site.
Please pitch in so that we can keep Good Reports going.